Pages

"We won't feel truly wanted again until the next email, text or call"

 

“We won’t feel truly wanted again until the next email, text or call” (Marsden, 2010). As Sherry Turkle (1999) explains cyberspace is changing everything, from our identities, sexualities and communities. We can create different personae’s online, therefore we represent ourselves through multiple identities. The internet gives us the opportunity to do so, it makes us think of identity in complex ways, gives us the choice of who we want to be. This relates to my topic of Children’s beauty pageants, they practice their routines of being someone else, and being perfect performers. These children put on make-up, hair, and even fake teeth, they flash a smile, sing a song and change who they are in order to win a prize. This idea of pageants, is really creating a different identity, someone who you can’t be in everyday life, much like social networking sites. When we log on, we think it is just us and the computer, it feels secluded, and when in reality we are linked to millions of other people (Turkle, 1999). As for me, it can be difficult to maintain a good “rep” online, because friends can post things that you didn’t necessarily want shown and now it is on the internet forever. I have a Facebook and Twitter account, and when I was younger, before I knew about the privacy settings I use to post everything and anything, where I was, what I was doing, who I was with, and pictures of me from parties. Now as Anders Alberchstlund (2008) explains in his section of life after social networking, that your chances for employment can decrease if your social media feeds show damaging events from your past. The embarrassing thoughts and pictures can be accessed (Tribble, 2005) and therefore used against you, and this is one of my concerns with social networking. I try to keep my online identity respectful, as now my parents’ generation is becoming familiar with Facebook, and I want to give off a good representation of myself. When it comes to me knowing that I am under constant surveillance, say by the government, I truthfully don’t focus too much of this aspect, rather than of people I know being able to search and “creep” me. It rarely crosses my mind that a higher power has access to my accounts. On Facebook (referring to this the most because I have had it the longest) I am “private”, so only my friends can see what I post. Now I am aware that this probably isn’t the case, but I have tried to takes steps to make my Facebook page less visible to the public. I especially liked when Turkle (2012) said “they don’t change what we do, they change who we are” I think this is specifically related to cellphones. Texting is now very familiar to people, we all want to “hangout” with certain people, while still keeping in contact with others (thinking of this, it is very rude). She explains that we want to spend more time with technology, because we believe that no one is listening to us. I think this is very true, when we are on our phones we feel a sense of belonging, this is also true with all social networking sites, it’s the fact that we are never alone. Social media in my opinion is a huge phenomenon that isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, and therefore we need to spend more time making younger generations aware and helping change the way communication is learned, by having face to face conversations and learning that it is okay to be alone sometimes (Turkle, 2012).

References

Albrechtslund, A. (2008) Online Social Networking as Participatory Surveillance. First Monday. 13,3

Turkle, S. (Nov., 1999). Cyberspace and Identity. American Sociological Association, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 643-648.

Turkle, Sherry. "TED Blog." TED Blog Places We Dont Want to Go Sherry Turkle AtTED2012 Comments. N.p., 1 Mar. 2012. Web. 16 May 2013.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Amanda. This is really well written and thought provoking post. I concur with your feelings about the government or other forces that may monitor and learn about us from our online activity. I also completely agree with your concerns about the people who may post things about you that you have little or no control over. What I do find interesting is your comment about how you are more respectful now that your parents are using Facebook. Is that because you yourself have matured and recognize the consequences of revealing too much or is it because you want to keep certain aspects of your life a secret from your parents? This interests me because I am a father of a 12-year-old girl and 8-year-old boy and my blog is about parenting them when they are more media literate than I am, but obviously not as mature about the consequences of certain actions. My problem is that they do not understand that what they post online is read by all and can be interpreted by many in many ways, as well as being a representation of my wife and I as parents. I would also like to address your comments about connecting Toddlers and Tiara’s to Turkle’s statement about creating different identities online. The children in these pageants as well as my own are all too young to know exactly who they are and what they want to reveal as real or imagined version of themselves in an online or pageant world. There is a big difference between the two from my vantage point. The parents control the pageant identity and their ideas of what they want their daughters to be, while the online child has more control over their online identity, but not the knowledge and experience that an adult has about what to reveal. The paradox is one environment has a situation where parents are able to exert a lot of control and the other the little if you do not stay current with the changes. I apologize for the length of my comment, but as I wrote earlier (much too earlier and again I am sorry) your post was extremely thought provoking and well written and I felt warranted such a response

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Colin, thank you very much for the post! No need to apologize for the length, that is awesome that you have two younger children who are already involved with social media. My parents feel the same way. To answer your question about whether I am more mature now or if I am trying to keep parts of my life secret, I truly believe that I have just matured. I now realize more of the consequences that can come from posting too much content online, for anyone to see, including my parents. My parents, especially my Dad use to tell me all the time to be careful what I put on the Internet (annoying at the time lol) but now I appreciate it. I really like your paradox about the two environments of pageants and social media, how one has a lot of control and the other very little, and although they both are similar in the way that different identities are formed, how they are created is very different. Thank you for that angle on the topic. Look forward to hearing from you again!

    ReplyDelete